Saturday, November 14, 2009

PUNE


I have made it to Pune. JinSung went home yesterday, and I flew to Pune. I was greeted at the airport my good friend Rohan, with an Indian sweet in hand. I have now taken a few classes with Geetaji, and will continue taking 6 classes/week with her until I come home. Tomorrow, I start sitting in on clinic and lectures with renowned Ayurvedic Physician Dr. Lad, and will begin an internship with another Ayurvedic Doctor here in Pune.

Pune is like a second home for me. Everything feels familiar since I was here for 3 months a few years ago. Some friends I met last time are again here, so my initial loneliness has fallen away. It is nice to have time to myself, just to practice and learn, and enjoy life.

Of course, the incessant noise and pollution of an Indian city can wear on one’s nerves, but Pune is the most optimum city in India to be from my travels so far. Guruji (Mr. Iyengar) has been working with his granddaughter (the next-in-line teacher) a lot during practice sessions. For those of you that don’t know, there is a practice session lasting 3 hours almost everyday. At this time, and the current Yoga students, as well as Mr. Iyengar, Geeta, and Prashant, come to do their personal practices. However, Mr. Iyengar often observes the students while practicing and thus ceases his practice to teach and correct. Most notably, he does this with his granddaughter. It is great to be able to watch a living master.


My cousin got married today in Hawaii. I am very sad to have missed it, and have been processing sentimentality over the past few days. I am the only member of the family not there, and would love to be there.

India is my place for now. This I know and love, but there are always ties pulling from other places.

As for class, today Geeta taught forward bends in the women’s class emphasizing that we all really look at what we are doing and why we are doing it and the effects on the body, mind and breath. Instead of performing an asana in a way which is comfortable, but may cause harm and pain later, she encouraged us to really practice evenly now, even if it hurts, in order to create more balance and harmony now and for the future.

I won’t write the sequence here, but soon, I will write a few sequences here for you students to practice while I am away.

By the way, it is almost impossible to stay on my eating regimen (for those of you that know me well, you will know what that means). Thalis, dosas, Bhel Puri, Indian sweets, and chai have lured me away from structure at moments, but at least I am enjoying it.

Love.

4 comments:

  1. hi jessie,

    thanks so much for sharing your journey and experiences. i'm enjoying india vicariously through your blog. i'll look forward to your sharing sequences and more details of your time in pune. enjoy!

    jen worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jessie,
    Thank you for your window into another part of our beautiful world! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie,
    And you too were sorely missed, but I can tell you're having a good time and this is where you should be at this time in your life.

    xoxoxoxo
    Aunt Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey pie
    I love reading your blog. Your adventures always amaze me. The pictures are great-especially of you. I miss you honey.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete